Thursday, April 16, 2009

Exercise your romantic options!

This is the time of year when my husband and I try to get our annual physicals. Now, a visit to the doctor may not sound like the most romantic topic, but bear with me. First and foremost, if you’re not taking care of your health, you aren’t going to have the energy to be romantic.

Another reason to take care of your health is to make sure you both have the best chance of a long, happy life together. My husband gave me a real scare last year when a routine physical led to a referral to a cardiologist. Jack has been battling high cholesterol, bad HDL/LDL ratios, and borderline high blood pressure for most of his adult life. Faithful about regular exercise and following doctor’s orders, he did his best to keep things under control, but last summer he had angioplasty and a stent. Thankfully he’s now doing great!

Essential to good health is regular exercise. Jack has worked out 2-3 times a week for as long as I’ve known him. Me . . . not so much. I’ve never cared much for working up a sweat. I also resent giving up that 20-30 minutes of time I could be at my computer doing something writing-related. But I know it’s important, and I’m determined to stay active in some form or fashion.

Do you have healthy eating habits? There are many healthful diet plans available, so it’s really a matter of finding what fits your tastes and lifestyle best. Jack and I have focused on The Flat Belly Diet for the past year or so with very positive results. Key to every meal is a serving of MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids), such as nuts, avocados, olives, or olive oil. The plan recommends four meals a day of around 400 calories each (men can go a little higher).

Above all, remember that our bodies are God’s temple, and He expects us to do our part in taking care of them. We have no way of knowing how long or short our time on earth may be, but we owe it for the Lord, to our spouse, and to ourselves to keep ourselves fit and healthy for whatever tasks God gives us--including romancing our spouse!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Myra! I need to look into this Flat Belly Diet. It sounds something like the Mediterranean diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the recipes--simple, easy to throw together, and really delicious! Some are so easy, in fact, that I'm teaching my kitchen-challenged hubby to prepare them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, but like you, Myra, I have little to no interest in working up a sweat. I feel like I'm running around in circles most of the time anyway, so another 30 minutes of running, or in my case, walking, doesn't really appeal to me.

    But I need to do it, and with the warmer weather coming, I just might be able to get out and get moving!

    ReplyDelete