Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Prayer - it's great for a marriage



Being that I’m a Christian, a strong prayer life should be second nature, right? Sadly, no. More times than I’d like to admit, my prayer life has sagged. But God is faithful and He loves His children, even those like myself who get caught up in daily life and tend to walk away from Him occasionally. Thankfully, God always draws me back to Him.

Once I’m back on track with my prayer life, there is one area that tends to garner a great deal of attention. My marriage. Why? Because outside of my relationship with Christ, it is the single most important relationship in my life. Sure I love my kids and my extended family, but my husband is primo. He has my heart and I have his and for that reason alone, I work to protect all that God has blessed between us.

Now to be honest, when we were first married I had no idea how to pray for my husband. So, I looked for help and found it in 4 books. The first and most important book is my bible. The next three are wonderful tools: The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian, A Wife After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George & A Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George.

In case you’ve never read any of the last three, let me just note what is really amazing about these authors and their books is they always turn your focus back to God and the study of His word, the bible. He’s the author of our lives so it’s important that we keep Him a priority in our marriage.

I have kept these books close at hand for years, using them extensively as I pray for our marriage. They're dog-eared, marked with favorite passages and littered with scribbled notes in the margins. Each time I pick them up; I am reminded to seek the Lord first when covering our marriage in prayer.

I’ll be the first to admit praying God’s word changes your life. We’ve experienced peace in heartbreaking situations, watched as arguments melted away and a continued love for each other blossom with each passing year. As with most couples, we have our ups and downs, our fights and make-ups, yet through it all, I pray. I ask God to bless us, to protect and strengthen our marriage and to grow a love between us that cannot be broken.

This year we will celebrate 19 years. Wahoo! I believe God is the reason. So my prayer request for you is to place God first, your husband second and let nothing come between you.

Many blessings,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment