Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Being flexible

So my husband is the king of impromptu events. He is Mr. "Off the Cuff", improv, play-it-by-ear... well, you get the point.

I am not. I am a planner. A list-maker. I like to know a week ahead of time what the plan is.

Us being opposites in this way didn't bother me much when we first dated or were first married. "Oh, you want to go hiking (to the zoo, to a movie, etc. etc.)? Sure, let's go." And we'd leave behind the homework or housework or whatever we were supposed to be doing to go have fun.

I guess I am turning into an old fogey or something because now I am much more likely to say "no" unless my day is very clear.

For instance, the other night he says, "I want to ride my bike out to this restaurant (about 10 miles from our home). You can meet me there and we'll eat dinner." Well, I had already had an exhausting day at work and had other stuff to do, so I gently requested that we rain check and do it another time.

I know, I'm turning into a dud.

I've recently come to a realization that I need to be a little more flexible where romance is concerned. Some of our best dates have been those that weren't planned for. So that's what I'm working on right now.

Think Mr. Impromptu will take me out for dinner tonight???

No comments:

Post a Comment