Monday, June 15, 2009

Hello folks.

Reading my dear friend Janet's post last week got me to thinking along the lines of nostalgia.

I have been an avid romance reader since my early teens, and one of the things I noticed right away about those books was the "love at first sight" theme.

Man, I thought that was the way it was going to be for me. I would enter a room, see the man of my dreams, our eyes would lock, and in that heart-stopping moment, we would recognize each other as soul mates.

Well, I must say my first meeting with my future husband did not go exactly that way.

We were both in college, he had just transferred to my school, and I happened to know a few of his buddies from my previous year. A friend and I headed over to the buddy's house to watch movies, we entered a pitch black living room, except for the light from the TV screen, and I actually mistook him for another guy I knew who also wore glasses.

I remember feeling confused and foolish because I couldn't figure out how there could be two of the same person in the room. After a few seconds it dawned on me there were two different tall, skinny guys with glasses in the room.

We all hung out as a group for the rest of the night, and for many months after that.

He asked me out, and I turned him down. I liked being his friend, we had fun hanging out together and with our group, but I still hadn't had that eyes-locking-across-the-room moment. I thought that's what being in love was supposed to be. So enamored of another person that you simply had to meet them, they became enamored with you, and la-la-la . . . happily ever after.

So after a few months of being friends I thought I knew where we stood with one another. Then one night he didn't show up to play cards. I asked around. He was hanging out with another girl named Lisa.

What?!

MY Scott was hanging out with another girl?!!!!

NO WAY was I going to stand for that.

Asked him out the next night, and we've been together ever since.

So I discovered my real-life romance followed another of my favorite themes in a romance novel . . . a jealous rivalry. And believe me, in our case, it worked like a charm.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment