Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Oldies, But Goodies

Hello, everyone!

One of the little known facts about me, or maybe it’s well known . . . I don’t know . . . anyway, I am a huge fan of old movies. If I didn’t think it would put my dear husband in a coma, I would probably spend every spare moment that I wasn’t reading a book watching a movie.

And I happen to love old movies. Now, when I say old I mean thirty years ago and beyond. (So sorry if that offends any of our mature readers, but I figure if it lands on TCM, then it falls into the “old movie” category.)

I have compiled a list of my favorites, and they are in no particular order, except the No. 1 movie really is my favorite Golden Oldie of a movie.

Now, my husband is a fan of a couple of these movies. He really likes Sabrina, and he likes Barefoot in the Park.

Don't get me wrong, these movies are no The Godfather, The Godfather II, or Cool Hand Luke, but as far as "chick" movies go, these are the ones he can handle, maybe even smile at.


I can get him to cuddle on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and a couple of drinks if these movies are on. (I am a big fan of couch cuddling, by the way. Not only is it affordable, but I get to hang close with my man and we get to laugh together.)

On the other hand, Hubby can’t stand Bringing Up Baby because Katherine Hepburn’s character wrecks the Cary Grant character’s life, drags him through all kinds of trouble with her screw-ball antics, and never really apologizes for any of her outrageous stunts.

To me, that’s what makes the movie great and they wind up together in the end. Yay!

But anywhoo, these are my favorites, and you can feel free to add your personal preferences to the comments section.

Later.

1. The King and the Chorus Girl – Fernand Gravet & Joan Blondell
2. Father Goose – Cary Grant & Leslie Caron
3. Sabrina – Humphrey Bogart & Audrey Hepburn
4. Breakfast at Tiffany’s – George Peppard & Audrey Hepburn
5. Bringing Up Baby – Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn
6. Fools for Scandal – Fernand Gravet & Carole Lombard
7. Barefoot in the Park – Robert Redford & Jane Fonda
8. Hello, Dolly! – Walter Matthau & Barbra Streisand
9. Guys and Dolls – Marlon Brando & Jean Simmons
10. Born Yesterday – William Holden & Judy Holliday

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan. Have to add Doris Day movies--Pillow Talk, Tea for Two, That Touch of Mink, It Happened to Jane, I'll See You In My Dreams, Calamity Jane...and the Fred Astaire - Ginger Rogers movies too (Top Hat, Follow that Fleet, Shall We Dance?, Swing Time, the Vernon and Irene Castle story).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patricia,
    I am a huge Cary Grant fan, but didn't think I should list every single movie of his that I love; just wouldn't be fair to the other movies!

    I'm also a fan of some of the Doris Day movies, too. Especially That Touch of Mink, and I also like Move Over, Darling (which was a remake of an old Cary Grant movie, My Favorite Wife!)

    I can't say I've seen any of the Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers flicks all the way through. I've seen parts, but never an entire movie. I need to correct that oversight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to watch the classic movies.It is very interesting & a meaningful movies.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list, Denice! I don't watch as many old movies as I used to--or maybe it's that when I did see them, they weren't that old yet!! But I always loved movies with stars like Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Doris Day, Audrey Hepburn, and Debbie Reynolds (especially the "Tammy" and "Gidget" flicks!). My all-time favorite that I MUST watch every Christmas season is White Christmas.

    ReplyDelete