Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Alone-ly Hearts Club?

Thanks solely to my youngest son’s travel sports team I will be spending most of Valentine’s Day alone.

Hallelujah! Thank you Jesus!

Now don’t get me wrong, I love my hubby and my children dearly and I’ll miss them while they’re gone. However…

Now that my daughter is away at college, I am the only female in a household full of males. Absolutely everything reeks in our home of male. I’m so outnumbered it’s laughable. Outside of the boys and hubby, I have 2 male Labradors, and a male guinea pig. When you count in the fact that those beloved men of mine bring their guy friends over to eat, play sports and make a mess of my home, forgive me if for a handful of hours, I take a breather and say, “Yippee!” as I wave them off to the competition! This girl’s gotta recoup!

I love my troop and the wonderful chaos they bring to my life. I also enjoy the sweets that Valentine’s Day brings, especially if it’s dark chocolate. But I’ve got to be honest; sometimes I need my peace and quiet more than a card, flowers or a meal out on the town.

When I was younger I felt as if Valentine’s Day was a way to measure how much my husband loved me, i.e. if he bought me a dozen roses or took me to a fancy restaurant for dinner, then I must truly be loved, our marriage, a success. Instead what I have learned is a single holiday, however wonderful, does not make a marriage successful.

Making a marriage work, takes thought and purposeful effort. Treating every day as if it were Valentine’s Day. Taking a moment each day to say, “I love you” and really mean it, sneaking a love note into your husband’s suitcase as he packs for his next business trip or making a favorite dessert for you both to share when the kiddies are in bed. Those are the efforts that really matter in the long run.

So if you find yourself like me, alone this Valentine’s Day, enjoy the moment. Treat yourself to those things that normally take a backseat because of life’s responsibilities. Watch a favorite movie, connect with a good friend, eat your favorite take-out or enjoy a much-needed nap.

Eleanor Roosevelt, once said, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”. So true. By taking advantage of these small precious moments you will begin to relax, causing you to be a happier, more content partner. And when your loved one returns, you’ll be able to welcome them back home with a smile, a hug and possibly a sweet treat from Godiva!

Whether you’ll be spending this holiday alone or snuggled up close to your sweetie, enjoy your Valentine’s Day. Wishing everyone much love and happiness - Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Like you I used VD as a yardstick for my relationship with my hubby. The holiday was a disaster waiting to happen, until I wised up. Now VD is an opportunity for me to share my love with family and friends, an "agape" holiday.

    I will be spending VD without hubby, but I won't feel lonely. Like you I plan a bit of pampering and girly time.

    Thanks for your blog!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca - thank you for your comment! It's nice to know that we're all in this together. I used to get so worked up about VD but not anymore - I simply enjoy the peace and quiet that my "girl" time allows and always find I'm a happier person which spills over into my relationships with my loved ones.

    Enjoy your pampering! Many blessings! Amy

    ReplyDelete