Monday, February 23, 2009

(Not-so) Hopeless Romantic

Hubby and I had agreed this year to downplay commercial holidays (like Valentine’s Day!) and save up for a week-long vacation. Most of our vacations in the past have been spent with his family, because they lived on the East coast and we live in the Midwest. Well, this year his family has moved HERE so we are free to use our vacation time however we want.

I was thinking Europe but he nixed that idea since the economy is still being very wishy-washy. Now we are thinking continental U.S. I really want to go to Wyoming and do some research for my current novel, but he’s afraid there won’t be much to do (I can find plenty, I promise!). We might settle on Colorado and I can take a detour up to WY (maybe!). But I digress. We were talking about Valentine’s Day.

Poor sweetie had to work that morning for a special promotion, and when he got home he brought two dozen roses and a box of Godiva chocolates! His work’s promotion involved Valentine’s Day, and they had extras left over when it was all said and done. He did have to pay for them, but not retail price (so his “discount” part of his personality was assuaged). And these are GORGEOUS red roses. They are still in bloom, full and they smell so good! The chocolates only lasted about three days, but they were delightful too.

I was VERY surprised and Luke got a major deposit to his husband-bank (the one where nice things make deposits and fights or forgetfulness represent the withdrawals). Although this opportunity to be romantic mostly dropped into his lap, he took it and ran with it and it helped create a wonderful Valentine’s Day for us.

My part of the V-day romance was making a special dinner. Yes, I’m not much of a cook, so this was special for us. Here’s the recipe I used for Alfredo sauce (add to tortellini and chicken sautéed with garlic, onions and mushrooms):

· 8 oz. (1 stick) cream cheese
· 3/4 c. parmesan cheese
· 1/2 c. milk
· 1/2 c. butter or margarine (I used butter)

Melt in saucepan (be careful not to burn!), stirring occasionally.

This is a surprisingly easy meal and I've actually made it again since Valentine's Day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment