Monday, February 9, 2009

The Most Romantic Date of the Year - 2007

Some people may believe that Valentine's Day is the most romantic day of the year. And they may even plan a super-romantic date on February 14.

My husband and I usually exchange cards and small gifts, but we don't go overboard for Valentine's Day. We try and celebrate our romance all year long. Let me tell you about the Most Romantic Date of 2007 (for me, anyway). It was in April 2007...

Wait - I'd beter start at the beginning. I am a homebody. I love being at my safe place - home - with my husband and dogs. With or without company, with or without a good book. I love being at home. I LOVE snow days. After about 3 or 4 days of vacation, I am ready to be home. That's just who I am.

So during April 2007, I was scheduled to work at a client that would require me to be gone (about 1.5 hours away from home) for one week, then home for the weekend, then gone for another week. That's ten days away from home, with one weekend in between.

I did okay for the first week. Talked to hubby a lot on the phone. Watched a lot of TV.

Not so much the second week.

On Wednesday around lunchtime I broke down and started crying on the phone with hubby. I missed him and the pups (2 at that time), and BEING HOME. If you know me at all, you know I don't cry. My emotions are usually pretty even keel. But that's how much I was missing being home.

So what does hubby do about his damsel in distress? After work, he drives up to meet me, with the dogs, and stays the night with me in the hotel. Then he got up extra early the next morning to drive back to Oklahoma City for work. That's right. Three hours of driving just to spend a couple of hours together and catch some sleep.

Basically, my most romantic date of 2007 was pizza and watching TV, but hubby got major brownie points (and major smoochies) for going above and beyond his "normal duties".

For this romantic situation, it didn't take a lot of thought or preparation. All it took from hubby was being available when I needed him. Now that I've written this post, I'm wondering if I've taken all of the opportunities I've had lately to be available for hubby. Something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful story. Sounds like something my hubby would do... and now you're making me wonder if I've been available for him in the same way too. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete